Wednesday, March 16, 2016

twenty-one days


 source
In twenty-one days I am taking a quarter of my heart 
to Texas to begin his big adventure.
The kid that made me a mama has grown into 
an amazing man.

He's ready to start chasing his dreams.
He's ready to work hard and be focused.
He's ready to be on his own and find his place in the world.

And I'm okay with that because I know what kind of person
we're setting loose on the world.

Twenty-two years ago I was in the same place.
I remember the excitement, nervousness, and joy 
I felt exploring new places and figuring out who I wanted to be. 

In twenty-one days we begin the next chapter of his life together.
We'll get him settled into his new home, city, and school.
I'll head back to California
and he'll begin his schooling.

I'm sure I'll be a hot mess when I leave him,
but I am also sure I am beyond proud of my kid.
Holding my kids with open hands is a hard lesson,
but one that I appreciate every day as I watch them grow up.

No comments:

Post a Comment